Saturday 17 November 2007

Water Fight

The National Consumer Council in the UK has published a study saying that consumers are fed up with paying huge mark ups for mineral water in restaurants. The law, apparently, requires restaurants to offer a free glass of tap water.

As ever this can be argued both ways.

My biggest problem with mineral water is that it water from a long way away is flown round the world in plastic bottles, but many have distinct flavours. If I am just drinking water, especially at dinner, I prefer to drink a sparkling water such as San Pellegrino or Perrier. I'm not sure I can always taste the difference with still water.

Most restaurants will not have a problem serving tap water, provided you are drinking wine as well.

So when you sit down at the table and the waiter asks 'Still or Sparkling?' you could ask whether the water is British and in a glass bottle. Or, as is your right, do not feel embarrassed about asking for a glass of tap water.

No comments: